Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
07-23-18 02:56 PM - Post#259309    
    In response to palestra38

I didn't realize there were these issues with him. I'm pretty far removed from things and don't get to see the press interaction much. I had always assumed the communication issues were from being introverted. I also always believed that was part of his problem as a coach - management and communication skill.

Still unsure - should we consider him guilty or wait to find out more? The articles sound credible.

• palestra38 Said:
I think one of the ongoing false assumptions here was that Allen was a "role model" and a good guy. He was neither. Sure, he could be a father figure to those for whom he could get a return (his recruits, when not selling the slots), but to the student press, he was abusive and intimidating. As someone who was student press and had to interview Chuck Daly, he would tell you that you knew nothing about basketball (relatively true, of course), but sit with you and give a true interview, not one word answers filled with anger. Sure, Allen was losing, but a coach is supposed to be a professional and at least cordial to the student press. To me, that was a telescope into his character, as were the debacles with Cartwright and Bagtas. There is no denying the guy's competitiveness and talent as a player, but on many levels, he was the worst coach in modern Penn history, and given that we had two other failed coaching regimes, that is saying something. Let's just hope this does not lead to any NCAA punishment, because the program is now being run in the right way.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.233 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:55 AM