American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Bucknell FB
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
09-10-18 10:16 AM - Post#261073    
    In response to Bison69

I share the frustration. I few quick comments.

1. Bucknell has not supported the program to allow it to compete on a level playing field. Facilities are below average, and for years they have put off building a new football/lacrosse facility that has been on the drawing board. Bucknell always gave a lot less athletic aid than other PL schools. When the league went to scholarships, I thought that would level the playing field. It did to some extent, but apparently not completely. Here is what the PL schools have averaged in expenditures on scholarships, salaries, and recruiting over the past two years:

Bucknell University $4,588,818.50
Colgate University $5,211,155.50
College of the Holy Cross $4,837,320.00
Fordham University $5,881,798.50
Lafayette College $5,585,045.50
Lehigh University $4,601,184.00

Part of the difference is that Bucknell employs two fewer assistant coaches than any other PL team - which is an important difference that helps point out the unlevel playing field.

2. Other than Bucknell and Georgetown, all other PL members always have a number of 5th year players (those who allegedly lost a year due to injury). If you look back at rosters for Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Fordham, and Colgate, they have each had over fifty 5th year players over the past 15 years. Bucknell has had ZERO. BU administration makes it extremely hard to get clearance for a 5th year and I am not sure what the position is of the coaching staff. In any event, having four or five fifth year players every year is a huge advantage. Further, many of BU's OOC opponents, schhols like William & Mary and Sacred Heart, redshirt most of their players - which gives them an advantage that is very hard to overcome.

3. I also had hopes that Susan would improve things. I think he is a really good guy, but it appaers he is in way over his head for this situation. His offense looks like something copied from an old Woody Hayes playbook. Despite a mediocre line, they attempt to overpower the other team with the running game or with passes thrown less than 3 yards down the field. Only once or twice a game do they try to throw long - which allows the opposing defense to crowd the line. I used to think the problem was the OC, until two years ago when they brought in a new OC known for a wide-open offense. Despite the new OC, nothing has changed - which makes it apparent that the problem is with the head coach. To give the team any chance to be competitive, they need to totally open up the offense, eliminate the predictability, and throw down the field occasionally. I realize that there is a QB issue, but the current offensive scheme makes it that much harder for whoever plays the position.

At the end of the season, I think it is time for a coaching change. Take a chance on a young, aggressive coordinator, one who will leave the program in five years if he is successful, instead of going with a mediocre coach who is willing to stay for his whole career.

4. As for the crowds, as 63 pointed out Saturday's crowd in the rain was disappointing. However the previous week they drew over 5000, including a decent student turnout. That is more than Colgate or Fordham typically draw. They will almost never outdraw Lehigh, Lafayette, or HC - who are located in large population centers with tens of thousand of alums nearly - but only a few thousand less. If the Bison were successful, they could draw almost as many. One thing that's certain is that after years of neglect, Bucknell finally has started marketing the team more aggressively. But it will take some success on the field before crowds pick up. It also would help if they didn't play such boring football.

5. As for dropping football, that argument can certainly be made - but I think it would anger a lot of alums and possibly cost Bucknell a significant amount of donations and a certain percentage of student applications. The better solution imo is to fix the problem, and not just put a band-aid on it, which has been the traditional approach.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.222 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:28 PM