Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Bucknell FB
DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
09-12-18 01:03 PM - Post#261154    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Bucknell has seemingly always been hesitant when making changes to the football staff. I think it is both an acknowledgement the University's support might not be on par with the competition as well as a lack of willingness to invest more into the program. Almost any new, respected head coach would come in with demands to upgrade the program.

The future of the program is, IMO, up for great debate. The previous AD was a football guy. His accomplishments at Bucknell were many, yet he could never get the football program to a competitive level.

A cost/benefit analysis of upgrading football vs an analysis of dropping it is likely happening on many campuses. At Bucknell (and I assume other places), that analysis will likely be very different in the not too distant future when the most ardent alumni supporters are lost. We know there is still strong interest and support from those in the '60s, but do we really think alums from the last 30-40 years will be as passionate about the program? I don't.

Within the last decade, both Hofstra and Northeastern dropped football, not because they could not afford it, but because they could not afford to excel in it. If the University ever decides mediocre is no longer acceptable, I'm guessing they'd make the same decision (w/o some type of change to NCAA rules that would allow a change to a lower level).

One last obstacle not mentioned above is Penn State. I know when I was at Bucknell in the '80s, there were many Lewisburg residents who were both fans of Bucknell and even friends of the coaching staff who would choose Penn State games over Bucknell games ... either driving to Beaver Stadium or staying home to watch on TV. With no student support (which Bison137 notes is universal), no local support (prefer PSU) and no young alumni connection, who do we think we can build a tradition off of?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.382 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:44 PM