Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Macquarie Court?
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-17-18 06:33 PM - Post#266138    
    In response to Quakers03

Former AD Steve Bilsky weighs in on the Macquarie Court controversy.

It does not seem that Bilsky approves of Calhoun's decision.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/11/steve -bilsky...

Below are some excerpts:

- It is not an exaggeration to say the Palestra court is sacred to legions of former players and fans throughout the Philadelphia region. We all know the storied history that has enabled the Palestra to be referred to as the Cathedral of College Basketball. To place a corporate name on its floor tarnishes that image and detracts from the pureness and spectacle that has made the Palestra experience unduplicated. The Palestra is unlike any other arena in the country and keeping it unique adds to its reputation. -

- I assume that the University’s senior leadership participated in the decision to name Macquarie Court. Since Penn is fortunate to have outstanding senior leaders who do understand and are sensitive to institutional history, it is surprising that, in this case, dollars seemed to outweigh sentiment and tradition.

No one knows more than I do about the challenge of funding an immense enterprise like Penn Athletics and Recreation. In fact, I was approached several times about naming the Palestra floor. Once, a senior University official approached me about a potential donor who was considering making a $25 million gift to Penn, the caveat being it had to include the naming of the Palestra. I admit I was initially tempted, but ultimately told the official that the Palestra was not for sale. -

- The Palestra has hosted more college basketball games than any other arena. Franklin Field was the country’s first two-tiered stadium and the oldest stadium still operating for football games. The Penn Relays is the oldest and largest track and field competition in the United States. We are so lucky that these treasures all belong to Penn.

However, with these blessings come responsibilities. The Palestra court, Franklin Field turf, and Penn Relays name should never be shared with any corporate entity. Otherwise, we’ll be like everyone else. Is this the outcome we desire?

I do not want to see our marketing and advancement efforts handcuffed. I’m sure there are other ways to utilize the Palestra and Franklin Field in revenue enhancement strategies, that don’t come at the expense of cheapening our classic venues. -
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.871 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:58 PM