Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: We Are Officially Big Time!
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-27-18 12:01 AM - Post#267175    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/11/penn- mens-ba...

A '94 graduate comments on the cheesesteaks - taco controversy.

- From the present day to when I was an undergraduate at Penn from 1991-1994, Abner’s had a promotion that when the Quakers scored 100 points, all fans in attendance were awarded free cheesesteaks after providing a ticket stub. Last December, Abner’s grudgingly honored this promotion when Penn defeated Delaware State 105-52. I say grudgingly because although the banner in the corner of the establishment, which was hanging this past Saturday, advertised the free cheesesteak for 100 points promotion, the manager of the Abner’s spent most of the night last year yelling at patrons that free cheesesteaks were to be given with no sides (no mushrooms, no peppers, etc.) and glaring at everyone in the establishment there to collect on the deal. I remember this vividly along with the fact that the only person who beat my daughter and me to Abner’s last year after the game was former Governor Ed Rendell, who must have travelled there by jetpack (my daughter and I sprinted there from the Palestra).

This past Saturday was a different story. When my daughter and I arrived after the game with our ticket stubs in hand, the same manager as last year was angrily telling the hungry crowd that Abner’s was not honoring the promotion. Akin to the “no soup for you” Seinfeld episode, the manager repeatedly told customers they were not honoring the promotion, despite the huge promotional banner still hanging in the corner and touting the promotion. Puzzled alumni and students pointed to the banner but the manager was unmoved. Patrons suggested he call the owner of the establishment, but he declined. -

Editor's note: An employee from Abner's says that the restaurant actually handed out free cheesesteaks later in the night. More information is available on this Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/DailyPennSports/statu s/1067236...

Edited by rbg on 11-27-18 12:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.121 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:55 AM