Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Stone Gettings graduating early
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-23-19 09:13 AM - Post#273382    
    In response to rbg

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat s/basketba...

- You could trace Stone Gettings’ arrival at Arizona this semester to his Southern California roots, connections with former Wildcats and his late-blooming talent.

But that’s not where it all started. That happened inside the Cornell University financial aid office, one day before Gettings’ junior season as a standout forward for the Big Red.

Gettings had already taken loans to cover $5,000-$10,000 of his required contribution during his first two seasons at the Ivy League school, which does not offer athletic scholarships. He was asked to contribute three times as much for his junior year.

A confused Gettings was told the problem was that his sister had just graduated from George Washington, so his shrinking financial aid package was now based on his family having just one kid to pay for instead of two.

Gettings said his sister had been on a full rowing scholarship, so nothing ever changed in his ability to pay.

“They weren’t too sympathetic,” he said.

But as his junior year went on, Gettings realized he was far enough along toward his degree in applied economics and management that he could graduate in three-and-a-half years. -

- “They really care about you here,” Gettings said. “At Cornell, I would cook for myself. Here, they make sure you have two or three great meals every day to make sure you’re getting proper nutrition. At Cornell, I would have a rebounder come and get me occasionally (for shooting practice), whereas here if I want to shoot they have three.”

“It’s ridiculous,” he added, smiling. “I feel bad using everybody like that. But they really just give you everything you need.”

Gettings said UA staffers also recently fitted him with insoles to help make sure his feet avoid trouble. Basketball conditioning coach Chris Rounds is already working with Gettings to improve his athleticism and get his body fat down to 5 percent.

“We’re really getting after it,” Gettings said. “I’m just making sure I can be a threat to score when I get the ball on the wing, and also posting up.” -
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:39 PM