Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Canady
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-24-19 07:44 PM - Post#273480    
    In response to TigerFan

If ever one could honestly say, “He took the words right out of my mouth”, I feel that way about most of what TigerFan said above. I also grew up in Princeton, starting in the Nassau Street School, kindergarten through Third Grade, then transferring to a local private school through Eighth until being shipped off to a prep school which probably got me into Princeton just prior to coeducation. I can honestly say that I have nothing but pleasant memories of my innocent few years of public school. My best friends then were both black and white (although I’m pretty sure I didn’t think in those terms then). Today, if one were to ask me to name as many of my Third Grade classmates as possible, I would recall more black than white. Ironically, I would meet one of my young black friends again as another member of my class at Princeton. He, however, did not have my private school preparation. When I arrived in private school in Fourth Grade a few short blocks from Nassau St. School, I heard for the first time the derogatory names that white children of those days used for young black children. I recall being uncomfortable because I knew that they were talking about my closest friends of only a few months before. Princeton had, I am told, a wonderful public school system back in the mid 1950s. But, the Town was largely segregated as I remember where all my young black friends lived. As I have grown older I have sometimes wished that I had had the more “normal” (for that time) experience of getting a public education. I believe that I would have been a much more mature, and better adjusted, teen. I also believe that I would now have more close friends who are black. But, sadly, my spot in the Class of 1969 would probably have been filled by another marginal prep school student.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.644 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:42 PM