Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn v. Harvard III
84grad 
Junior

Reg: 11-09-17
03-15-19 08:47 AM - Post#281410    

Having won the game that really counted last Saturday vs. Columbia, the most important work has been done. 7 titles (4 shared) in 9 years is a tremendous achievement. For me, the NCAA bid is gravy, particularly with the consolation prize of an NIT bid.

I would much rather be playing Yale at the Palestra in a true playoff game. The last time we did was epic. But we’re stuck with Ivy Madness.

And, as unfair as it would be, I would rather be playing Penn at the Cathedral on Saturday and not hosting the tournament at Harvard next year. The tournament rotation will lead to some pretty rough years.

As a Harvard fan, I would like to see them get it done this weekend after two disappointing tournament losses in the past two years. If it’s Yale vs. Harvard on Sunday (and I’d be shocked if Yale doesn’t win on Saturday), it likely will take another heroic effort by Aiken to pull off the road win.

The big key for Harvard at this point is Bassey’s availability. If he is at full strength, I would have to give Harvard the edge on Saturday. Would allow Kirkwood to come off the bench as he had been doing.

Penn has 3 very solid players, but they have had a lot of adversity to deal with, starting with the tough injury to Betley and now the disappearance of Wang and Washington after promising starts.

Brodeur will score his points, but Harvard has enough defenders to make it difficult for Woods and Goodman, likely forcing some of the others to have to step up. Not that that couldn’t happen, but I wouldn’t want to bet on that.

Woods is such an elite defender that he can makes things difficult for even an elite scorer like Aiken. Aiken’s OT passing display vs. Columbia was a reminder of his excellent PG credentials, and if Harvard can knock down even a decent percentage of 3s off of kick outs, that may be the winning formula.

Also think Penn’s usual discipline to avoid team foul trouble is key. Allowing Harvard to score free points at the FT line helps compensate for the inevitable parade of ridiculous TOs. If Aiken can get the calls by being aggressive, I am confident that Harvard can deliver a good afternoon at the FT line (they’ve been erratic, but I still like our chances there vs.Penn).

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.148 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:22 AM