Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Great story
LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-15-19 05:42 PM - Post#281562    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:

Dunphy has run a motion offense his entire career, including with that team. A high post set with a read for a pick-n-roll is an elemental part of any motion O.

That's fine, I don't disagree with it in the abstract, but in practice it just wasn't so throughout Dunphy's tenure. I'm sure the later teams practiced it and had it in the playbook, but it didn't feature in games to the same degree. I don't know how often you got down from New York, but the tv coverage wasn't nearly what it is today. If you went to every single home game in the Dunphy era, as well as plenty of road trips, the difference in offensive execution between the Allen-Maloney years and the following decade was quite noticeable. In subsequent years we passed it around and around the perimeter looking for the three, to dump it into the low post, or to drive to the basket and dish or finish. Do you remember Koko or Ugonna setting up high very often, receiving the ball and looking for cutters or rolling to the basket when they didn't? We used to emphasize that element to set up the overall package much more. I remember asking repeatedly for years why we didn't do it anymore. Maybe it was different personnel or something else that accounted for it. I mean, you surely can't say you saw any similarity between Dunphy's attack in the mid 90's and that offensive mess Temple threw at us this year.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.383 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:44 AM