dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-09-20 12:56 AM - Post#296295    
    In response to Stuart Suss

• Stuart Suss Said:

The original Friday/Sunday proposal would have included one home game and one road game. It would not have been an elongated road trip.

OK, that would have been a bit better, but on the weekends where the road game was a long trip, it would still have eaten up most of the weekend; you'd still be traveling much of Saturday (you might not have had the practice, though) and Sunday would still be mostly eaten up by the game either way. To me, it still makes much more sense to have at least the longer trips be either totally home or away.

• Quote:

The Ivy tournament is not likely to be moved from Selection Sunday weekend. Apparently ESPN told the Ivy League that it was welcome to play its tournament any time it wanted, but if it was not on Selection Sunday weekend, ESPN would not televise it.

OK, it is infuriatingly difficult to find a complete schedule for this year's conference tournaments this far ahead, so I'm just going to say to heck with it and look at what happened last year. There were four conferences that ended their tournaments the weekend before Selection Sunday: ASun, Big South, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley. OK, the MVC and OVC are probably more important to ESPN than us, the other two not so much. Nine other tournaments were playing during that weekend; the most popular ones would have been the semifinals of the Horizon, Metro Atlantic, Patriot, and Southern, and either the quarters or semis of the West Coast.

Now, ESPN has what, five regular channels, plus online? Now, it does appear that several of the conferences listed above have their "networks" with ESPN as well, so I grant there is some conflict, but a.) you mean to tell me you can't make it work out, and b.) if someone's getting buried on the final weekend, why is it us and not, say, the Patriot, or the ASun? The only other major thing they're showing at that time of year is the NBA, and there can't be that many games. Frankly, given the ratings we're getting where we are now, they might as well not be televising us. Either we need to pay some other league off to swap places, or we need to get another TV network that respects us more than these guys.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:51 PM