1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
04-11-20 06:31 AM - Post#306129    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Both of those two players (and others in the Ivies like Wesley Saunders) spent a season playing a third or more of team minutes before their starring season. For Stephens and Saunders that was their freshman year, for Caruso, that was his sophomore year. Either way, none of those players went directly from not playing at all to starring the next season.

If we're thinking about odds of things happening, there would be good odds for MLL to follow the Caruso path next year and play 30-40% of team minutes and maybe even be a starter by the end of the year. The problem is, without Wang, Penn doesn't have that luxury to bring him along like that. And the odds of a guy going from playing not at all to being a productive, 75+% min player are slim. That's why I would have wanted to see some viable freshmen... just more lotto tickets to eat minutes productively.

I did not look up the minutes played, so I knew that might deflate my argument.

But to me, it's more about expectations. None of us who follow Princeton closely predicted stardom for Caruso or Stephens. Their minutes came as back-up. For the record, neither did coach Henderson expect what he got.

They shared a talent for making shots from about 10 feet or getting to the hoop, which may explain the lack of expectations, as scouts seem to have a scotoma for such a player. What scout ever said about a small player that "he's got a great 10 foot fade-away jump shot with a hand in his face"?

The comparison to Aririguzoh may be more apt. But I was not surprised. As with Maddox the talent was visible from day one.

I have not watched MLL live, so I have no personal opinion, but I tend to trust the eyes of the Penn faithful.

This gives me something to watch next season if I make it through the pandemic.

Off to the hospital.....
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.418 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:24 PM