dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
05-18-22 12:34 AM - Post#341516    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:
Does that mean Columbia lost 2 times to Dartmouth? I thought they were ahead of us with 3 to go.

Yes, we came into the final weekend two games down, but we won all three against Princeton and Columbia lost twice, so we tied them for first; since we beat them two out of three head-to-head, we win the tiebreaker.

You're welcome, Penn.

Trust me, if the Dartmouth team wants to come down for the weekend, I guarantee they'll find plenty of people willing to buy them a round. I'd chip in myself.

On that note, I just have to say that days like Sunday are why I love sports. Frankly, even Penn sweeping Princeton was not as easy as it seemed; even if you assume that Penn had a 90% chance of winning each game, that still means that they would lose at least one game a little over one out of four times. As it was, Princeton's final batter represented the tying run in both Games 1 and 3 (because the Tigers are awful this year, the two batters produced a called strike three and a double-play, respectively.) Now calculate the chances that Columbia would blow a two-run lead after 5.5 innings in game 1, and that they would botch a six-run lead after 7.5 and a one-run lead in the 10th in game 3. Then, to put the cherry on top of the sundae, consider that Justin Murray, Dartmouth's normal first baseman, struck out looking leading off the 9th in game 3, then said one thing too many and was promptly ejected. (This, by the way, tells you something about how fired up Dartmouth was--by that point, they had been officially knocked out, but they were still playing hard enough to get really mad about calls. That being said, it is also true that the weather conspired to keep the Green alive as long as was practically possible.) So guess who ends up getting the game-winning hit in the 10th? His replacement, named--of all things--Peter O'Toole, who thereby raised his season batting average to .100. Yes, folks, he was 3-for-39 on the year coming into that at-bat, and he ended up 4-for-40. You simply cannot make this stuff up. If you wrote this up as a screenplay and shopped it around the studios, you would be laughed out of every office in Hollywood--and yet it actually happened.

I was sitting behind the backstop at Princeton on the side of the Penn dugout, no more than about 10 feet away, and was watching the live stats when Dartmouth's Nathan Cmeyla hit the home run with two outs in the 9th to tie the game. Not only did I nearly give my wife a heart attack when I jumped up next to her and started screaming, I had the whole Quaker dugout looking at me for about ten seconds like I was crazy--until they realized what I was saying. Then they got real happy.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.6 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:35 AM