Username Post: Stirring the pot
BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
04-03-07 01:45 PM - Post#34246    
    In response to Husky - Bison

Of course academic and athletic compatibility are the most important elements in looking at what schools could be a fit for membership in the Patriot League. However, geography is still an important issue where expansion is concerned. This is especially true for a league like the Patriot League where schools have limited travel budgets and place a genuine priority on minimizing the number of classes missed by athletes.

I haven't done the research but I suspect there's a number of schools that might be reasonably compatible academically and/or athletically to the P.L. but aren't given any consideration because their location - i.e west of Pennsylvania, south of Virginia, heck even north of Massachussetts - would place too great of a travel strain on the other schools in the league.

If the league were to completely disregard geographical issues and add just southern schools - e.g. Richmond or W&M without any plans to add any NE schools - and it resulted in H.C. leaving the league as a result then it's not a net addition to the league. That's why to me, any league expansion (if needed) will need to focus either on NE or at a minimum balance growth in the south with growth in the northeast to accommodate Holy Cross's needs.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:29 PM