Username Post: 2008 Bracketology
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
04-11-07 02:49 PM - Post#34468    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Quote:

Also, at least RW still had scholarships. Amaker won't. That's a BIG recruiting difference. Not to mention that Duke and Stanford basically throw their admissions standards out the window for athletes, and the Ivies (Patriot League as well) do not.

Although Amaker will not have scholarships, all Harvard students whose parents make less than $60,000 now get a free ride, and those whose parents make up to $80,000 get significant aid. Thus Amaker effectively has scholarships when he goes after any player from a low-income or lower middle-class area.

True, the Ivys do not throw their standards completely out the window, but they definitely will compromise a lot for a good athlete. I know an athlete who got into Yale with an SAT below 1100 when the average was about 1500. Also, I don't know if any of it is true but I have heard several Ivy graduates complaining long and loud about the academics of some of Cornell's recent hoop recruits.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:32 AM