Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: My Final Thoughts
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
06-07-23 11:42 AM - Post#356697    
    In response to Mike Porter

While I certainly respect NYChoops comments and his experience, my experience is different. I likely have a different set of contacts whom I am in touch with and I most often hear positive feedback with regards to SD and his coaching acumen (from college, HS and prep coaches), particularly on the offensive end. He has gotten a lot better coaching defense but our defense hasn't been elite since Ira Bowman left. Recruiting is another story. I think they are not nearly aggressive enough on the recruiting trail and he doesn't have anyone on staff who is a defensive expert.

In terms of predictability on offense the last few years with JD, the offense has had to run through Jordan and that means an iso/ball screen approach, which is different than Steve has run. And virtually every NBA team runs a predictable, high ball screen offense through their best scorers. That's not unique to Penn. It is unique to SD as he hasn't run that system in the recent past so some of the nuances and adjustments might not be in his wheelhouse, so I understand the feedback. I mean it was pretty predictable that Jordan Dingle was going to touch the ball and take a lot of shots. That said we were top 100 offensively and it was our (lack of) defense that crippled our chances. I think this year you will see Penn go back to the type of offense that has been most successful in the past. The question for me is whether we can get enough defensive talent on the floor to matter.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.274 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:08 AM