Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
02-15-24 01:24 AM - Post#363216    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Do the results/analytics really show that Steve is lazy, incompetent, has no eye for talent, and has no in game acumen? I guess I have trouble coming to that conclusion based on a .535 winning percentage, making the Ivy tournament every year, etc. The analytics and performance say he is something more like mediocre in the mix of all these things. As nychoops points out, this is a once proud program. However, Steve’s not the one who lost that — it was the prior two coaches who did that. Steve has been an improvement over them. So I’m not sure Steve should get much blame, if any, for what the program has become. He’s actually moved it forward. Probably as far as he can and ultimately not far enough, but forward nonetheless.

All that said, I’m really just arguing that the analytics/results don’t actually back up those very negative assertions. Or if they do, the Ivy League currently has 5 lazy, incompetent coaches with no eye for talent or in game acumen.

Fair question, I should have been more specific. I have no idea the details one way or another around what nychoops said. I was personally reacting to the final comment, the ultimate results:

"this program will NOT EVER, EVER move forward with him at the helm. Trust me he is not taken seriously. If analytics, statistics, recruitment numbers say differently fine...I'm telling you from years in the game this will never improve as long as SD is the head basketball coach at the University of Pennsylvania"

We have 9 years of results, 8 seasons worth of data, 2 full recruitment classes worth of data. Mediocrity is the result, trending in the wrong direction for a long while. Nothing in the data disagrees with the idea that this is highly likely as far as this staff can take the program.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.358 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:41 PM