Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: State of the program
slane 
Freshman

Reg: 02-09-05
02-15-24 07:17 PM - Post#363240    
    In response to SteveDanley

Not to diminish anything that Fran Dunphy accomplished during his 17 years as Penn’s coach, it is worth noting that despite sharing absolute domination of the Ivy League with Princeton during his tenure, Fran’s Penn teams won only 1 NCAA tournament game and only 1 outright Big 5 title (2001-02). Fran’s Penn teams won 3 other Big 5 titles, including a shared 2-0 title in 1993-94, and 5 team 1-1 ties in 91-92and 97-98 (during the first non-full round robin era). Fran beat Villanova 4 times (91-92, 93-94, 97-98, and 2001-02).

SD has beaten Villanova twice (2018-19) and (2023-24) and has won 1 outright Big 5 title (2018-19). He has yet to win an NCAA tournament game.

The reality is that Penn no longer dominates the Ivy’s because the rest of the league has gotten much better. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton have benefitted from the Ivyies being prevented to share the terms of their respective financial aid packages. It has been alleged that Harvard, Yale and Princeton have offered more generous packages. Penn in turn benefitted from an advantage over Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth and Cornell in that while its packages were less generous that those offered by the “big 3’s”, Penn implemented its no-loan/grant only policy before Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth and Columbia did. (I am uncertain as to whether each of those 4 have no loan policies in place even now.)

As for recruiting deficiencies, I am hard pressed to see where the team Penn expected to have this year - which would also have included Dingle and Martz - would have been iany less talented than that of any of Penn’s rivals. in fact Penn expected to field the most talented roster in the league.

Finally, as for coaching, the only Ivy coach who has distinguished himself above all others is in my view Brian Earl at Cornell given what he has accomplished with the talent he has assembled. And I again remind everyone that the Tiger nation was screaming for Henderson’s head after Princeton’s meltdown at home against Yale last year.

Everyone in this space needs to chill and let the second half of the Ivy round Robin play out.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.359 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:07 PM