Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Men's Program
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-28-24 09:07 AM - Post#364067    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
I hear this a lot, the old trope of 'spoiled youth of today, don't want to get pushed in practice' and all I will add is there is no way you get to play Division 1 basketball if you're not willing to practice hard. Like, it is impossible.

However, your willingness to be pushed often relates to how you feel you're being treated as a human being. Managing a Dartmouth academic load and playing a D1 sport is virtually intolerable if you feel your coaches treat you like garbage. I'm not saying that is the case, but simply assigning to the players the 'they just don't want to work hard' is a worn out straw man.

There is no shortage of counter-points to this. But I'll throw out former Dartmouth WLAX coach Amy Patton.

The General had a lot of success early in her career at Dartmouth. Was a regular in the NCAA tournaments and made a couple of final fours.

From all accounts, she ran her players hard.

Two decades and change later, she was run out of town by player complaints. The story seemed to be that Patton didn't adjust her methods to "today's" players. There's not a lot of daylight between that and "today's players are softer than yesterday's players."

I'm all for Darwin and the need to adapt/evolve. That said, I am sympathetic to coaches who are "accused" of pushing their players too hard...

Edited by Go Green on 02-28-24 09:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.353 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:14 AM