Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Can anyone defend Steve?
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-24 11:47 PM - Post#364916    
    In response to GoQuakersGo

Penn Fan 10 said the following about this year's Quakers in another message thread:
<<Worst defensive college team I have seen in a long, long time. We don’t have a single player that can guard at a college level.>>

Here are the details:
1. 3-11 league record, tying for the worst Penn record since the Ivy League began.

2. The defense surrendered 1.15 points per possession over the 14 Ivy games. This is the worst defensive efficiency for an Ivy season since I began keeping these statistics for Chuck Daly in the 1971-1972 season.

3. On March 9, 2024, Penn gave up 105 points to Princeton in the Palestra. With 3:48 remaining in the game, Princeton essentially cleared its bench. As of that point, Penn's defense had surrendered 94 points in 59 possessions, or 1.59 points per possession.

4. As best as I can tell, surrendering 1.59 points per possession is not just the worst defense in an Ivy League game since I began keeping statistics. I believe it to be the worst defensive efficiency in any single Penn game, conference or non-conference, in my more than 50 years.

5. With respect to the previous statement, I have checked every Penn game starting with the 1992-93 season. That period includes famous blowout losses, at Kansas, at Arizona (to the eventual national champions), and, most particularly, the 114-55 loss at Duke on December 31, 2009, Jerome Allen's second game as head coach. To my knowledge, no Penn team has ever surrendered 1.59 points per possession in a game.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.166 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:17 PM