Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
04-05-24 01:24 PM - Post#367054    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
The only problem with the current system is that it is reducing fan interest in the NCAA men’s tournament and the sport in general. Lack of continuity in rosters makes the storylines and identification with teams weaker. The first weekend of the tournament still does great, what with all the marketing of bracketology and betting, but ratings are softening. Zach Edey and Purdue are the only long-running storyline left this year. NC State’s run and their charismatic big guy may have pulled in some extra eyeballs, and UConn may be enough of a dominant heavy to make the final against either one of these plucky contenders a compelling story. But last year’s final had horrible ratings. And God forbid if Alabama upsets UConn.

Couldn't agree more. I've watched less college basketball this year than probably since before I started college more than 25 years ago. Part of that is my general displeasure of the direction of Penn's program (I think Coach Donahue is even worse equipped for this new recruiting world than he was for the old world in recruiting where he wasn't strong), but an even bigger part is the general demolition of what made college basketball great... players being "one of you" as a student, regional rivalries that matter, etc.

I blame college football... I was never a big fan (NFL is where it's at for me), but now it's ruined college basketball as well.

If even Ivy team's no longer hold on to continuity and retain the majority of it's best players, then my interests will continue to trend towards 0. I'm not interested in following a game of musical chairs.

I'm sure all across college basketball, I'm not alone in this feeling. I think the only way things change this path ahead is if people stop watching. Will be interesting to see what the market decides.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:34 PM