jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
12-14-11 04:28 PM - Post#114388    
    In response to hound4life

• hound4life Said:
JDP you can be "sick" of that argument all you want. But I have a feeling I'm a little closer to being in the student situation than you are.

Your age doesn't make your BS argument because it is the same BS arguement that was made when I was there a million years ago.

The problem isn't the "distractions" of Baltimore. Balto may as well be any [fill in the blank] midsized American city. It isn't NYC. Not San Francisco or LA. There aren't a million things to do.

The community doesn't support the team because the team doesn't win. The students don't support the team because they rather be drinking. It has nothing to do with options.

• hound4life Said:
I grew up on Long Island and have a few friends that went to Iona - there is much less desire to go into NYC than you think. You try going out and spending $10 a drink on a college budget. They go to little dive bars around the school, as well as some around Fordham, and have house parties. I'm not gonna answer your "Manhattan" argument because i went to the Loyola/Manhattan game there over Christmas break about two years ago - you could hear pins drop.

You've completely missed my point. I was NOT talking about students going into the City to drink. I was talking about those two programs building a following/raising visibility in their local markets. That will never happen for them in the NYC market. But Loyola is in Baltimore. If they had a run like Siena had, you have a chance of taking sports marketshare in the area. The students are an important part of building a fan base, but without aluni and community, the fanbase doesn't grow or carry influence.

• hound4life Said:
So you can whine and complain all you want, but its the reality of the situation. And as long as Loyola's administration is stupid enough to schedule Sunday afternoon games conflicting with "Raven" football - good luck getting locals out to the games.

The only dynamic that has really changed since I attended Loyola is Ravens football. It sounds like it would be pretty stupid to try and compete with that that - but those are isolated occations.

And for the record, I wasn't whining or complaining. Just pointing out your misguided opinion that Baltimore was some cornucopia of entertainment options.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:37 PM