Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-07-12 07:01 PM - Post#119688    
    In response to Penn94

• Penn94 Said:
  • mrjames Said:
  • Quote:
It's possible that it's good for Harvard, but I really can't see how it benefits your alma mater or mine.

I strongly disagree with this. The Ivy League has a perception issue. Anything that starts to chip away at that issue is positive for all teams.

Respectfully disagree. As great as Lin's last week has been, three Penn players had (as of now) better NBA careers than Lin in the 90s, Matt, Jerome and Ira Bowman. Nothing they did chipped away at the Ivy's perception issue, and Maloney's playoff series vs. the Sonics was a lot more high profile than what Lin is doing now.

I like Lin and wish him the best. I think BRF's comments are, as usual, deplorable, this time with a racist tinge. But I don't think this will help the league at all.

I have to vote with Penn94 here. I remember Chris Dudley having a very respectable NBA career, free throws aside, but it didn't do anything for the league's rep in the 90's. Same thing with Ron Darling and Ivy baseball. Kevin Boothe's super bowl ring isn't going to make 5 star lineman choose Cornell. "Ivy League" is just too well-established as an academic/non-athletic brand to change. Amaker may be able to use it to help Harvard, but that's it.

That said, maybe I don't wish Lin too much success...
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:23 AM