Username Post: Offensive Flow Concern
MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-25-12 12:27 PM - Post#122165    
    In response to mattie g

Just my three cents, but it seems that Bucknell has had nearly as many "ugly" wins as "pretty" wins, with many of their losses being the "ugly" type as well. Perhaps this is just the kind of offense we have.

I suggested earlier in the season that Bryan Cohen has to be a bigger and more consistent offensive threat for this team to be its best. Many replied that any offense BC generates is "gravy" because his role is to play tough defense on the opponent's best player. It was said that we have enough offense to allow Bryan to concentrate on his defense. My thought then, as it is now, is that yes, defense is his biggest contribution, but that he also has to provide offense. Other than Mike, this team does not have consistent 15-20+ point threats. We need contribution from all players. I do not think it was simply coincidence that some of the best offense this team played all season was when BC was shooting a higher % and scoring points.

Now, I am in now way saying the offensive struggles lie totally at the feet of Bryan. Certainly there are other factors such as inconsistent shooting, inconsistent PG play, lack of ability to penetrate and create consistently, and perhaps even confidence issues. But I also agree that Willman is not used enough in the low post. He has some decent moves but he is almost exclusively a mid-range jump shooter, as evidenced by his 39 FT attempts, the lowest number of the top six scorers. Also, Fitz could be used more on offense. He is shooting 61% from the floor and 81% from the line. Yes it is a smaller sample size, but he is effective when given a chance.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.451 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:42 AM