jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-27-12 03:06 PM - Post#122751    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
  • LoCo2011 Said:

I just think we still need to remember that we are just Loyola.

No offense intended, but that is exactly the defeatist/loser mentality that led to the Scott Hicks era and to which I refuse to be associated.

What's the point of competing if the goal isn't to be successful?

There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON why this program can't consistently compete for and capture MAAC titles. None.

I would counter-argue (and I'm playing more devil's advocate here, I'm honestly on the fence with him).. that finishing 2nd place in the MAAC is absolutely competing for MAAC titles.. that making it to the Semis in 07-08 is competing for MAAC titles (although the 17 point blown lead is still troubling)

I think we can all agree that pre-Iona we were all very pleased with what Patsos was doing.. and even after the win, the fact that we almost blew the lead was troubling but still we beat them.

I think it would be an overreaction to not resign him simply b/c he had a stretch of 4 bad games. We still went to Manhattan and won in the last game.. including overcoming an 11 point deficit to finish 2nd.

I just don't think mid-major basketball wise, that you see coaches get fired b/c of lack of tournament success.. there's just no precedent for it. Coaches in general don't get fired.. just are not brought back.. which is why I think this is a really tough spot right now.

Hard to ignore the most wins in Loyola's division 1 history, especially if we win on Saturday.

How many coaches on the mid-major level get to run a program for a decade without EVER making the NCAAs or NIT?

This is Jimmy's 8th season and we know exactly who he is and what he is capable of.

Excellent recruiter. Terrible at Xs and Os. No poise under pressure.

So basically, unless the team has a clear advantage in talent, it will lose. When the games are big, we come up small.

Success in college hoops is measured by what you can do in March. Patsos would say as much every season the team sucked in January. Now it's his time to put his money where his mouth is.

If we can't beat Niagara, Jimmy should just stay up in Springfield.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.431 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:45 AM