jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-28-12 01:20 PM - Post#122909    
    In response to Greyhound21

• Greyhound21 Said:

The rule I always have followed is that you need to have better players to win and when all things are created equal it is going to come down to coaching. If you can coach and recruit odds aren't coaching in the MAAC for very long. That said you can chalk up our losses to JP but we won 21 times because we have better players and more depth than most teams because JP can recruit and if you don't believe me ask Gary Williams.

You see, to me, this is the whole point. Nobody is denying Jimmy's ability to recruit talented players. But the fact of the matter is that no matter how well Jimmy recruits, there will be other teams with the same level of talent - so it does come down to coaching. At a certain point, you need a coach (or staff) that is going to be able to get more out of the players. In developing them season after season or in game management.

• Greyhound21 Said:
JP will get an extension and we will all just have to be frustrated by some of his in game decision making, but that beats the altturnative of having some highly touted asst. come in and win with JP's players leave for a better job and leave us back where we started. I'll take JP and his ability to get better players over the unknown or unproven.

Is the point of the program to be respectable or hang banners? Some people feel are satisfied with what's been built, and you're all entitled to that opinion. But it isn't mine. John Feinstein articles are nice and all. But in the end, it's meaningless. Dare to be great and live with the consequences. This is sport for chrissakes.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.736 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:22 AM