Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
Full Bear 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 06-01-12
06-01-12 11:58 PM - Post#129649    

Unlike most of Mike Martin's supporters here I don't know him personally and didn't play with him. I am sure he is a great guy and he was a decent player, but I am an older alum who sees this as another dark day for our beloved Bears.

Jack Hayes had an opportunity to change the culture of this program and he failed miserably. Unfortunately our new AD was bullied by the alumni into hiring a 30 year old coach who has never even been the head coach for a CYO team. Look around the country and see successful programs. They hire quality coaches not alumni with friends on the committee.

Martin's experience is limited at best. He sat on Miller's bench and then survived to stay with Allen. Because he recruited one player (Z. Rosen) to Penn with talent we are supposed to think he can load up our roster. He has been an asst. for a mediocre program, and has never had to lead a program, deal with the media or be the final say in any decision. There is no easier job in life than an asst. coach.

We had a list of possible coaches that had success as HEAD coaches and/or more experience as higher level assts. Stewart (Pac 10), Young, Walsh (Big East), Anderson. We apparently didn't even interview Maker from Williams. Not sure if he was interested. Regardless, these guys have all sat in the big chair and performed. They have been held accountable. They have won conferences. They have taken teams to the NCAA tournament albeit at a lower level. They have called a play in a huddle down one with 5 seconds to go and needing a bucket. Walsh was coaching in the Big East and the NCAA tournament when Martin was in HS. What has Martin done? How is he different than TJ? And do you think because TJ played AAU with him, he's going to be excited to be his sidekick?

Last time I checked this was a Division One job. How many other D1 programs would make a hire like this? I am shocked that no other posts have focused on what a terrible choice this is. Harvard hired Tommy Amaker and we hire a guy who has never been involved in a NCAA game outside of the Ivies. We needed a coach and Jack Hayes let alumni politics assure another decade of mediocrity at best.

Way to go Jack. Hoped you had a spine...guess we got the answer.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.221 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:02 PM