Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
06-02-12 10:18 PM - Post#129668    
    In response to Brown50

Well, I for one am on record as not being too happy about Mike being chosen over the other nine finalists. But I'm happy for him and will root hard for him, and hope he will have success that goes beyond this season. I just want what's best for Brown.

I don't know if this decision was our new AD chickening out by choosing someone he thought everyone would like, or if this was Hayes having backbone and going against the grain by choosing a 29 year old who has never run a team. Maybe it's some of both?

I have to believe that the search committee saw something in Mike that some of us don't know about. I knew it when they made a horrendous decision with Agel - I knew it. So, clearly they don't always get it right. But, my hope is that if you have the balls to make this hire, then it's on the basis of something you see that is unique or winning or impossible to ignore or whatever - and that it's something that those of us who haven't watched him closely in the past few years (as I haven't) wouldn't see.

Listen, given the tenor of this decision, Mike needs to be good, needs to have success. And no blaming the facility or the Brown Alum support for the lack of Brown's success; that's absolute crap - two of our last three coaches were able to have very good success. As Hayes' first act, and as Mike's first HC job, there's pressure on both of them. I believe the leash will be short.

So, go win, Mike Martin. You've got a strong returning class. Win some next year and some beyond that. Use that energy and work ethic and ability to connect with recruits. If you leave us in a few years for a better job due to your success, I'll be the first to tip my cap.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.22 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:33 AM