Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
06-03-12 09:10 AM - Post#129672    
    In response to pchrystie

Paul, I think we define wine - and probably water, for that matter - differently. Nobody's asking Mike to win a championship next year; we'd be asking him to compete for one in the coming years, and winning enough games to be in the mix for it. As a Brown fan, I've never been happier than the two times we finished 2nd and hit the postseason.

So, if you're saying that we shouldn't expect Mike to do that, then how you can you suggest Mike looks like a good choice for Brown? I expect that if he's been hired, the search committee feels he'll be able to do that - and I hope he can. He needs to if he wants to keep his job beyond a few years. You can't say "great hire" and "don't expect that he'll be able to win there" in the same breath.

I do like your point about not being obsessed with previous HC experience - you're right about that of course. But this is not just about previous HC experience; obviously, Mike's age and presence and management skills further exacerbate the issues around this hiring. Now, might he have the right presence and skillset? Of course - I have to believe (hope?) Hayes wouldn't have hired him without them. But I hire 29 year olds all the time, out of impressive b-schools or law schools, and with good job experience - and very few of them have the stuff to run things when they're hired. Is it possible that it can work? Of course. And I know you can give me the examples you can think of to show it can - but when you start to stack up the odds associated with the different elements at play here (they don't teach stats at Penn?), it gets less likely. So, the hiring of Mike Martin is not quite analogous to Roy Williams, I don't think.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.199 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:59 AM