Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
pchrystie 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-14-06
06-03-12 09:57 AM - Post#129673    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno -

I think if you were to rank the 8 teams according to building blocks to win (facilities, fin aid, tradition, schedule, interest, etc.), Brown would rank 7th. Based on that, and that the gap between 1/2/3 and 7 is so large, I think a third place finish in the current environment would be the equivalent of a 2nd place finish in the Miller/Robinson years. And given that last year 4 teams had the opportunity to go to the postseason, a 9-5 league finish with maybe 18-10 overall probably gets you into postseason a bunch of the time.

Do I think Mike can do that? Yes.

Do I think Mike (or Roy Williams, for that matter) can win the league at Brown? No, especially now that you need two teams (at least) to go off the rails instead of one.

So if your expectation/hope is that Mike can consistently duke it out for 3rd/4th, I think that's a realistic expectation and one Mike can deliver on.

As for the hiring analogy, I get your point, but I'm also guessing that the 29 year-olds you hire aren't coming from a 3-person office where they have virtually the same responsibilities as the head guy. While the HC is ultimately responsible for the final decisions, the ACs have to make the exact same judgments re: ability to play, have to sell recruits on the HC and the school and the program, have to understand the admissions and fin aid parameters, have to schmooze the alums. No 29 year-old lawyer is going to have the same responsibilities as the managing partner, so I don't think the two scenarios are comparable.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.576 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:28 PM