Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
06-04-12 09:50 AM - Post#129693    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
The Bears really could have used a Big Splash Hire (relatively speaking) to excite recruits, students and alums.

And who might that have been? Yes, I understand you are hedging with that "relatively speaking" parenthetical but who on Brown's list was going to be a big splash? Brown's search felt a lot like the recent ones that Cornell and Columbia just went through. Neither Cornell nor Columbia were able to hire a big splash though I bet both wanted one. I can think of one big splash hire in the entire league the past 30 years - Tommy Amaker. I'm not sure any team other than Harvard could have hired a coach of Amaker's stature. I could be wrong but don't think so.

• gokinsmen Said:
And considering Brown is primed for a big leap forward based on returning talent alone (not to mention graduation losses to other teams), this was a real golden opportunity to do that.

How do you define big leap? Harvard returns a deep and talented roster. Princeton has the best player in the league and a pretty good supporting cast. Columbia's returning talent is better than Brown's (I may be biased saying that but don't think so).

• gokinsmen Said:
But Hayes either failed or neglected to take advantage. Instead he ended up with a coach he could have gotten even in less-than-ideal circumstances.

If Hayes thinks Martin is a genius, a wunderkind, a future star coach...then it's a great choice. Otherwise I'd want to see a more experienced or higher-profile candidate get the nod.

I think Hayes looked over his choices after the interview process and felt Martin had the greatest upside. My opinion based on real life experience is that more mistakes are made by settling on the safer, more experienced candidate than selecting a talented but less experienced candidate who can be a star.

That isn't to say Martin was the best candidate. I don't know, I wasn't in the room. I am saying that Martin might have been a reasonable decision if he had a very strong interview and was able to articulate a vision for the program that was better than anyone else's.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.235 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:39 PM