Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: a little late
Bison1999 
Junior

Reg: 01-23-06
01-26-06 01:53 PM - Post#13917    
    In response to thom

I, too, am a bit nervous about whether any new-found Bison success will relax the school's standards. We'd be foolish to suggest that only Lehigh is succeptible to this kind of activity. It would be a shame for the League to lose its well-deserved "Last Amateur" status.

As for punishment -- I don't see a problem with JK playing the rest of the season as long as he's academically eligible. This kid (and from all accounts, he's a great kid, making the most of his opportunities at Lehigh and, if his education leads to a full, rich life, well-served by the chance he's been given) has been put in a spotlight he didn't earn. It's a shame the Admin. is still trying to shake-n-bake around what they did. Scholarships should be withheld.

I've seen many posts along the lines of "JK wouldn't have been accepted to Lehigh had he not played such great ball." Well, I'd respond that there are many students attending PL schools whose admissions were affected by more than their GPA or SAT. Students who were good debaters, chess club champs, philanthropically-minded, good singers, legacy offspring or in possession any number of other non-quanifiable extra-curricular success have benefitted from that "edge." Was it disproportionate in JK's case? Maybe. I don't know.

But I do know that standards count. And that Lehigh's willful ignorance (being generous) of clearly established NCAA rules runs the risk of undermining the mission of all Patriot League schools.

And 'Gate fought hard last night. I smell a couple of upsets later this year for you guys (but not against my fair Bison, of course).

Go Bison!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.391 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:15 PM