Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Annual Big Time College Sports Rant
Anonymous 

01-06-05 05:30 PM - Post#1927    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I didn't "misleadingly" say anything. I said he ended up going out like Tark. He did. As for my "ludicrous" notion that he ended up having to accept that he could not clean up the "stench," that is precisely what happened.

One cannot debate with you...you either have a serious anger management problem or a paranoia that makes you feel threatened when someone offers an opinion contrary to yours. I have no clue how you seriously suggest that I am "holier than thou" when I simply offered my opinion, to which you respond viscerally with personal attacks that simply chill the discussion on this Board. I believe that even in here, where the majority are serious basketball fans, most believe that big time college sports is corrupt and we should not go that route. When a poster goes over the top like you always do, no one will want to post. I think you really need to do some self examination as to why you get agita from someone else's expression of opinions that disagree with your own. There certainly was nothing personal directed towards you in my original post, yet you clearly took it that way. That is not healthy.

That being said, you have never addressed how Geiger, who came into Ohio State with a mandate to clean up the program, leaves a broken man if it is not the case that Big Time College Sports is simply so corrupt that from any conceivable academic point of view that for the Ivies to even consider going that route is a serious mistake. This has nothing whatsoever to do with "societal issues" or opportunity for poor kids to get an education. Rather, it is all about money...which if you actually read the US News article rather than search for anecdotes taken out of context you would have realized. Every major college athletic program exists to make money or at least break even---that is irreconcilable with economic reality or a college's academic mission. The Ivies have every right to stay in Division 1 rather than drop to 3 as you suggest they must if I am to be analytically consistent because they do NOT insist on breaking even. They have greater student participation in athletics per capita than almost any major conference and they lose money on sports. Why on earth should they not accept what money they get from the NCAA? They do, however, split it almost equally. If any system gives a student athlete an opportunity to participate in college, it is the Ivy system.

When it comes right down to the issue between us though, it is purely that you for some reason feel threatened by my opinion. Indeed, through 3 posts of yours, all I have read is that I am holier than thou, willfully misleading, and making ludicrous arguments, among other more personal epithets. Through all of this, I haven't read your opinion as to the issue I raised in my first post. Do you realize this?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.159 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:30 AM