Username Post: A confidence builder
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 07:10 PM - Post#199    
    In response to

I could not agree with you more Howard. It was painfully obvious early on last night that this team does not have the outside shooting necessary to run the set half court offense very successfully. That lack of shooting enabled the defense to collapse in on the post, which more often than not ended in a turnover from one of our big guys.

It was not until Zoller was inserted that a spark was lit, and the guys really started pushing the ball up the court. This resulted in easy looks for our guys on both the inside and the outside. I love it when Begley trails the break and gets that wide open look from 3 at the top of the key. I think 3 of his long distance shots came in that fashion.

When Penn started pushing the ball and taking the early good looks at the basket, good things happened. I think this could be even more effective if Fran could have gotten the bench more involved. I only hope Fran realizes this as well...

-Mike

Quote:

Actually the big run started when Penn started running.

25-20 Drexel with 3:50 to go in the first half, Penn goes on 13-0 to end the half, scoring 11 points in the final 2:20.

The Quakers then opened the second half with a 27-8 run over the first 9:44. That's a 40-8 run in 12:04. That ain't the set offense talking. That was pushing the ball, quick, open threes for Begley, Danley running the court for layups, Ibby getting in the lane, etc. A depleted Dexel team (hurt by an injury and foul trouble and playing its first game) was not able to keep up.

The only drawbacks were that the set offense still struggled and Fran again would not clear the bench. Up 27 with 10:16 to go, 28 with 7:32 and 26 with 3:48 to go, Begley, Ibby, Zoller and Danley were still out there with 2:17 to go (when they were replaced by Fikiel, Ebede and Pettinella). Whitehurst, Gill and Majette didn't get in until the the final 45 seconds, up 31. Shockingly, they were able to hold the lead.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.009 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:00 PM