Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
07-26-06 04:03 PM - Post#21592    
    In response to Scott

Quote:

8. I think Towson is better positioned than Loyola to become Baltimore's team. Not only is the CAA tv contract a bonus but the CAA is a much stronger league than the MAAC right now. The CAA may not continue to fly as high as it is now but it will be strong again next season as the league was fairly young last year. I thought that the MAAC was loaded in '94 with Manhattan, Canisius, Siena, St Peter's and Loyola. However seeing the CAA teams last year was amazing...JMU, Delaware and GA State were bad, Towson was mediocre but the rest of the league was very good. Drexel gave Duke and UCLA battles in the preseason NIT yet stuggled against CAA competition. Just as Loyola's recruiting improved when they moved to the MAAC, Towson's will also improve due to being a CAA member. In addition should Pat Kennedy find success at Towson he as a veteran coach is much more likely to stay at Towson that Patsos is to stay at Loyola if he somehow keeps winning.

By the way Scott, I think you and your CAA-bias () are over-estimating Towson by quite a bit. Yes they are in a better league and have a better TV contract, but they have about as strong of a track record in creating excitement and success with their basketball team as, well, Loyola. Kennedy is not having the recruiting success that he thought he would, as evidenced by them taking the risk with that LaSalle kid. While Loyola does not have the best reputation in Baltimore Patsos is rebuilding it, and Loyola’s stock in Washington has improved greatly thanks to their coach. Towson is thought of as a safety school for Baltimore hoopsters, and the average high school kid in Washington wouldn’t know that Towson is closer to the DC Beltway than Alaska – Anchorage. Kennedy might yet turn things around. Not having to worry about academics is his specialty, and he has it at Towson, but I think Loyola under Patsos has a much better chance at a 20 win season than Towson under Kennedy. I think it is even money at worse that Kennedy’s likelihood to stay is a benefit to Towson.

Rough night in Kansas City last night. Oh well. It isn’t like the Os were playing the team with the worst record in the League or something.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.358 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:54 AM