Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brodeur
T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
01-26-17 10:08 AM - Post#219486    
    In response to TheLine

I'm too lazy to look this up, so this is all from my fast-failing memory. Please feel free to correct me.

Pretty sure Duncombe came in with Jerry Simon and Ben Spiva. Their freshmen year was either Phil Pitts' senior year ('87-'88) or perhaps the year after he graduated. (I think the former since I doubt Freshman Duncombe and Simon beat Nova at home.)

That crew was recruited by Schneider but only played one or two years with him. Schneider was canned after the '88-''89 season. The Spiva Dive-a Line transferred to Memphis State (he was from Tennessee). I think the '89-'90 season was Hoss's last as a player. Although he could fill it up from the elbow on in, he apparently trained on cheesesteaks and beer, which did not meet Dunphy's standards.

I recall a game at Yale in 1990 in which Penn seemingly ran the same play all game. Yale played zone. Jerry Simon fed Duncombe in a seam in the zone and Hoss just kept plunking in 16-footer after 16-footer. Like clockwork. Don't know how many points he scored in that game, but we won by a comfortable margin.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:39 AM