Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-15-17 01:30 AM - Post#221870    
    In response to bradley

The best 68 teams don't make the tournament. Often, conference champs are ranked lower, which leapfrogs lower ranked teams into those spots you seem to consider reserved for top 68 squads. For instance, there look to be roughly 20 conferences that don't have any teams rated in the top 68. Those champions - and any tournament underdog champions in the other larger school conferences - fill spots, resulting in less at large openings. I'm sure someone has historical results and can identify the ranking of the final at large slot handed out. I've got to think that ranking is somewhere around 45th to 50th or so. That's why the last at large bid often lands as an 11th/12th seed. I believe that last year KenPom #50 Michigan may have been the last at large selection, earning an 11th seed.

Thus, for the Ivies to get a second bid, the non-conference tournament winner needs to be a top 50 team, not top 68.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.174 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:30 PM