Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown Game #2
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-20-17 10:15 AM - Post#222638    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Well, I assume the overall rankings are like kenpom or the rpi, where they are evaluating the teams based on the entire season. So Brown's out of conference superiority still gets considered, regardless of what happened in the conference season. To me, that makes sense. I think the total picture over 27 games is more accurate than the picture over 14. I think Brown is better than Dartmouth, frankly, but it is close enough that you could easily have Dartmouth end up ahead over a 14 game Ivy season. Heck, it's easy enough to see Dartmouth finishing as high as 5th. If you play the season 1000 times, even assuming Dartmouth is 285 in the country and last in the Ivy, they're going to come up ahead of Brown plenty of times.

I was under the impression that these "rankings" were actually attempts to project the final league standings.

If I was mistaken, and these are just "power" rankings regardless of the real-life results, then I'll treat them accordingly.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.264 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:58 PM