Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: YALE GAME #2
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
02-25-17 10:55 PM - Post#223662    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

It was a pretty decent game all in all. There were a couple of coaching errors in the game, we blew the 7 point gift from the basketball gods. We got killed from deep by three Yale players Reynolds, Oni, and Dallier. Not making an adjustment to defend one or all of those players falls on the coaches. These 3 guys took 18 of Yale's 21 3s and we couldn't recognize or get a hand in their face or run them off the line.

After watching Jones, Amaker, Engles...basically all the other ivy coaches it very clear that McLaughlin is up tight. His team looks uptight, there's no flow or rhythm. Maybe it's a first year coach thing, but it's pretty clear. He looks pensive on the sideline and at time indecisive. Calling guys off the bench and sending them back. He has players let them make plays. Watching Oni and Copeland on Yale just free flowing and making plays while we struggle to find a way to force the ball into Evan. The one thing that jumped out to me was when Evan got his 4 foul it's the end of the game leave him in. Soon as he came out Yale went on their final run sensing blood in the water. By the time McLaughlin realized his mistake and put Evan back in the game was lost.

The other issue is that with out Evan first style when he's out of the game the offense sputters. Players are indecisive on who's going to get the ball on offense, the defense is fine. There's a lack of certainty or trust when Evan isn't the focal point. We will have to find a way to play with and without Evan if we're ever going to make a run in the next two years. All Evan all the time is not a recipe for multi game success. This season record clearly show that that strategy doesn't work.

This team has "PLAYERS" but right now it's not a players program. Boudreaux is a gamer, Barry is a PLAYER, Carter is a PLAYER, Guillien is a player, and Myles is a player (streaky), Taylor is a gamer, and Cameron is a player.

Evan should be playing in the ACC and Barry and Carter are really good together. Mclaughlin has got to figure out how to allow these guys to play together. Cam Smith defensive effort during the Brown game settled it for me. Not playing him this year was a HUGE MISTAKE!!! McLaughlin has to develop trust in someone other than Evan.

After this season you don't go to the Woods for the basketball you go for the education. Hopefully we'll see a major jump next year. My fear is that we didn't prioritize our underclass enough this year and we only have Miles for one more year and Evan and Guilien for two. I'm very concerned about our teams development. I wonder if someone asks the guys if they got better this year what their answer would be?

"...no excuses - only results!”

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.235 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:45 PM