Username Post: Get the Lawyers Ready
umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
02-27-17 09:56 PM - Post#223950    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Also, doesn't the hair splitting actually seem a little backwards? If we're breaking a tie by getting to record against the 6th or 7th team in the standings, by definition everything is even up to that point. And we know that both teams finished with the same record. So, if one team wins the tiebreaker by sweeping the 6th place team, by definition they will have dumped a game (and in the instant case perhaps even 2) to the 7th or 8th place team. That seems worse to me than splitting with the 6th place team. It makes sense to prioritize record against the top 3 - that tells you how well you play at the top of your game. But once we're down to 6th, If I was going to use HTH, I'd almost be inclined to go the other way and start from the back.

I had the same idea as I was going through the hypotheticals - that in some scenarios, Penn would go through because two of their losses came to a last place Dartmouth. It does speak to arbitrary nature of the tiebreakers - now Penn fans might be biased towards using the ratings - and that makes sense if you are thinking about NCAA tourney performance. But I do think it's preferable to use conference play first.
Strength of victory might yield a similar outcome and involve even more "meaningless games" but seems like a more satisfying measure. (You total up the number of Ivy wins for each team you beat - if you beat them twice, you count the wins twice)
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.264 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:02 PM