Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Final thoughts 16-17 Dartmouth Big Green Season
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-05-17 01:53 PM - Post#225005    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

I anticipate next year, based on the per 40 numbers of the returning players, our scoring will increase. Should everyone return, I also think our defense will improve if only marginally.

If this coaching staff returns, and there's no reason to think they won't, hopefully with a full year of D1 basketball under their belts we'll see some growth. Everyone was new to each other. Besides the former Dartmouth player on staff how many of our coaches actually played D1 as players or were head coaches at this level. Experience matters.

There were many instances our guys looked like a D3, D3, and even high school squad. Other coaches I know questioned what we were doing at times. I know a lot of fans here felt the same way. All those people who follow the program closely questioned our moved at times even hoopla who had been the most optimistic of any poster.

I think changing coaches at this juncture might be to disruptive, but adding some real experience to our staff would improve our lot. I think guys bought in from what I could tell from the sidelines, I just don't think what they bought worked well. We can all agree that defensively we were terrible. It was glaringly obvious when we finally played Can Smith who immediately impacted our defense at that position. Additionally, we really didn't give up anything on offense with him in, which caused some to wonder why he wasn't utilized more. Offensively, I'm still scratching my head in why we spent so much time trying to make Johnson a PG. He's clearly a bucket getter and energy guy. Also, when they discovered Barry was a baller why didn't he move to the starting PG position?

I would love to hear the coaches philosophy spelled out clearly, because there's a lot I can't reconcile. We looked stubbornly formulaic a lot of times searching for W's with guys who hadn't played significant minutes their entire career.

Sometimes you have to get out of your own way. There were many instances where guys get going and we'd send them to the bench. We are are either m worst enemy. Nearly all our wins were by single digits. That's a symptom of coaching not to lose. Guys looked pensive on defense. We have fouls to give use them. Yes we want our guys to defend without fouling but we're not there yet. Make them earn it from the line sometimes. I think a philosophy change in that area will improve our defense. Guys can't be hesitant to get in and mix it up.

We only have Evan for two more years. Let's not squander what is arguably the best player in the Ivy League. We had talent this year. Lots of guys showed flashes other guys never hit the floor, and guys with proven skills sat the bench. I think we could have done easy more with what we had. Better luck next year.
"...no excuses - only results!”

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.241 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:17 PM