Username Post: Penn game thread
Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-12-17 06:49 AM - Post#226454    
    In response to SRP

I was at the Cathedral of College Basketball yesterday (anyone else sick of hearing that?) for both semis. Watching the Princeton-Penn game was agony!

Shots that the Tigers have been making all year just would not fall. Give Penn's defense credit because they were aggressive and it was a very physical and loosely-called game. Penn also made a lot of hard shots. I was there with my sister and her husband who live in Philly, and are not Ivy hoops-crazed like me, and she said at one point, "Penn's players seem to shoot much better than Princeton's.". I told her that had not usually been the case this year but it was yesterday (I then asked her to kindly refrain from any further positive observations about the Quakers).

The two senior stalwarts Cook and Weisz just could not get anything going and when they both missed very makeable shots at my end of the court in what seemed like their final possession, I was despondent. What a crappy way to end this special season, losing to an also-ran Penn team in their building! But then Penn's elder statesman Matt Howard missed that FT and Bell flashed up the court in what seemed like 3 long strides and Myles, who willed the team to victory, was Stephens-on-the-spot!

In OT, the game I thought I would see, with Princeton making shots and the defense thwarting Penn, finally played out. Princeton won despite Penn playing at a very high level and abysmal shooting from Cook, Weisz and Cannady, who was bottled up the entire game but canned his FTs when it was crunch time.

Yale looked really good in taking down Harvard. They also have many weapons and Bruner finally looked like the dominant player that he was advertised to be. He is a terror on the boards and made several athletic post moves against Harvard's bigs. Kevin W's write-up on the NYC Buckets site was superb as usual and perfectly described how Harvard gave the keys to Bryce Aiken down the stretch. Once the ball was in his hands you knew he would shoot, and while that worked a lot yesterday it also seemed to paralyze the rest of Harvard's offense.

To win the final Princeton will need to shake off today's offensive performance and try to channel the precision of their last game against Yale. It should be a good one.

Go Tigers!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.236 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:14 AM