Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-19-17 03:11 PM - Post#227723    
    In response to mrjames

Ironically, Howard's missed FT and Stephens tip in will keep the IL Tournament alive for the time being. I always thought that it would take two perfect storms in a row or 2 out of 3 years to possibly kill the IL tournament and I am happy that the perfect storm did not take place. Seems likely that the league will move the tournament location.

I agree with your thoughts that the IL is on an upward trajectory and the IL Tournament will be probably be less risky over time if the same format is maintained although time will tell.

In retrospect, it was a risky play to introduce the IL Tournament with four teams at the Palestra this year. It turned out that this year's 4th seed had an 18% chance to win the IL Tournament and represent the league as a 16th seed. Two good players, Howard and AJ would have tried to fend off the Polish kid and Collins in the post or some other #1 seed and probably lose by 20 points or more based on historical stats over the past 20+ years. Yale probably would have played Kentucky or UNC and been trampled in all likelihood -- very tough being a #15 or #16 seed. Nothing good for the league's reputation would have come out of it.

Some of us who objected to the IL tournament were predicting this risk way back when. Did the IL Tournament really think through the format and location?? -- you would hope so. If anyone objectively looked at the quality of the IL team that have finished in 4th place over the past 10 years, I do not think that you would have recommended the format. As a professor once stated, you better think through the consequences of what you recommend.

Let's hope as you suggest that the IL will be on an upward trajectory if the league continues on with the tournament.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.452 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:59 AM