Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The state of Brown hoops
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
04-03-17 05:47 AM - Post#228467    
    In response to Silver Maple

I agree with SM and SG. Browns' greatest success on the hardwood over the last 50 years were the Phil Brown era and the Earl Hunt era. During Phil Browns' time the Bears competed for the title in an era when the league was still strong. And their coach was a Brown grad who wasn't looking to climb the coaching ladder and jump ship. Unfortunately that great recruiting class of '71-''72 was not followed up with another. It almost felt that to excel in athletics was wrong and gave the wrong impression. Plus H and Y sucked and they held a lot of sway. So Brown had better tow the line and get back to sucking, too. Aside from the lone Championship in '86 aside during a low ebb for the league, the only other era of competitiveness was the Earl Hunt era, but the coach did jump ship and that success was fleeting.

Now that H& Y think it is OK to compete with the P's and not damage the brand with athletic excellence, Brown has a coach that may stay and not leave at the first chance. It is time for Brown as a business to step up and capture the moment. I'd love to see plans for a new facility and greater institutional support. Where it would be built, I don't know as the complex is quite full with space at a premium. But with the right vision and imagination it can happen. Leave the Pitz for wrestling, fencing, gymnastics, etc. It's time they take basketball "uptown" in this sports crazed society and strive for the success the university does in many other areas. Get rid of the guilt complex of being successful in athletics. Go for it and don't look back.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.344 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:56 AM