Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The state of Brown hoops
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
04-03-17 09:03 AM - Post#228470    
    In response to Silver Maple

We seem to be talking past each other. Yes the resources and commitment by the institution matter. Yes the coach matters. You cannot separate the impact of one from the other. By the same token, you cannot absolve only one. That's what you seem to be doing, so let me know if you think I'm reading you wrong.

You're just wrong about Donahue. He inherited a terrible program, got it better every year, and then RECRUITED three game-changers. He gets credit for that - it's not the kismet you seem to suggest. The Cornell story is, quite plainly, a very different trajectory from what we've seen at Brown, where in the last two years the team is materially worse than it was in the first two.

Amaker is a game-changing coach. And yes, his hiring was clearly an outcome of increased commitment to hoops at Harvard, and a willingness to upset the apple cart. And to suggest that it's all Harvard and it ain't him isn't correct.

Jones, you're somewhat right. Except note that Jones won the regular season championship in year 3, and since then has had winning records in 2/3 of his seasons.

My entire purpose in continuing this rant is borne from your argument presuming it's mostly about the facilities and resources and that they are impossible to overcome, and that you put the impact of the coaching staff third or fourth. No.

(Full disclosure: I lead a business that advises on the impact of leadership, and how in most - not all, but most - cases it is THE top predictor of success. I have biases, as you see, but biases backed by behavioral and organizational science.)

So - does Brown need to step it up? Yes. See the first post in this thread. More support. And, it needs to consider the coaching in that context, and agree that the accountability for sustained performance is shared. It's not chicken, it's not egg. It's chicken omelette.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.196 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:33 AM