Username Post: Bison Recruits 2018
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
08-01-17 09:55 PM - Post#231486    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
I'd always take an athletic wing if we have a chance, they are not easy to come by. And I think PSU can eventually be a team to make a tourney. Chambers can be a bit volatile on the sidelines for my taste, but from the little I read, he def has the program heading in a good direction.

I guess time will tell. But if I had to bet on which will happen first - PSU in the tournament or Chambers fired, I would choose the latter. He did have some good frosh this past year - his best inroads into Philly during his tenure - but can he sustain that? It won't help that two rotation players, Terrence Samuel and Payton Banks, transferred out - although they aren't irreplacable. However a bigger concern is that their incoming recruiting class does not look strong. Two of the three had no high-level offers. Also none of the three are Philly kids.

As far as improvement goes, PSU has yet to break 80th in the national rankings (Pomeroy) in his six seasons there - with the best season having been 2014 (although 2015 and 2017 weren't far behind). Their league records in those six seasons have been:

2012: 4-14
2013: 2-16
2014: 6-12
2015: 4-14
2016: 7-11
2017: 6-12

And his ooc schedules make it very difficult to challenge for an NCAA berth - being soft every year and with almost all home games. This year, for example, they have nine home games vs two true road games. Their home opponents include Campbell, FDU, Montana, Columbia, ORU, Binghamton, Rider, and Coppin State. They do have three power conference opponents (two in a tournament), but one or two of the three will not be strong. If by some miracle, they ever have a good enough record to get onto the bubble, the selection committee will reject them in a heartbeat for the kind of schedule that Chambers puts together.

PSU was 10-8 and 9-9 in two of DeChellis' last three years (with one bad year sandwiched into the middle). They were also top 60 in the nation in those two years. And yet DeChellis left under duress, with many thinking his contract wouldn't be renewed.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.415 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:43 PM