Username Post: Penn Hoops' Student Data Analyst Commits Suicide
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
09-08-17 09:21 PM - Post#232743    
    In response to rbg

A little perspective from the distant past. Penn in the Sixties was full-bore concentrating on graduate programs to the detriment of of undergraduate education. In my years there were just the quads for dorm, hardly any advisors beyond signing my course choices twice a year. The school was very competitive for grades, B's were hard to get. Finally, I commuted to school on the Subway/El. Oh, I forgot to say I was an Architecture major, a big toughie. School was hard for me.

I had the chance to also go to Bodwoin and would have certainly gotten a much better, individualized undergraduate education. Still I treasure my Penn connection, in part for family reasons, but mainly because it is such a full-service school. The Palestra was the capital of college hoops in those days and the Glee Club in which I sang was just as good then as now. So I guess, each school has its pluses and minuses in every age. It would have been great if I could have had Bowdoin's intimacy and Penn's scale. But that ain't the real world. And anyway Bowdoin is waaaaay north and I wouldn't have seen Larry James, the Mighty Burner be the first relay runner to break 44 seconds in the 440. I should also point out that my girlfriend of these 52 years went to Temple's nursing school. Not that was a real reason to stay in Philly!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.25 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 AM