Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Race, Activism, and Ivy Hoops
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
09-18-17 04:25 PM - Post#232943    
    In response to TheLine

The article didn't say that Amaker was the only African American coach in the league at hiring. Rather, it stated that he was the only African American AT hARVARD at that time. I assume that his point was that the Cantabs were a bit late in the game.
But, in all seriousness, Amaker has clearly raised the bar throughout the league by successfully recruiting many talented players who not so long ago would have not considered the Ivies. I believe that he was greatly benefitted by the change in financial aid policies at some/all(?) Ivies that replaced loans with outright grants. But, I give Amaker credit for opening new doors to all the Ivies with his early success. I recall the complaint of a few posters that the mediocrity of the rest of the League was holding back the Ps prior to Amaker. No more. I credit the person who first observed that the rising tide would eventually benefit us all.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.176 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:20 AM