Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy AI
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-10-17 02:18 PM - Post#233709    
    In response to palestra38

When we're discussing systematic advantage, I'm referring to the Ivy Agreement's rules, not external advantages (such as school "brand", athletic facilities or other investments in the program, etc.).

HYP and Penn all have an advantage (of varying degrees) over the other four when it comes to the amount of resources they put behind the program (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc.). I leave that out of "systemic advantage" because a school could choose to change that if it wanted to.

What it can't change is what's baked into the Ivy agreement. And that is that a school has to offer need-based aid similar to what a regular admit would receive and can't recruit a player below the AI floor and must meet an average AI standard, varied by school, across the department. When it comes to those factors, HYP still have the highest average to hit and are somewhat restricted at the floor. Though with the floor at 183, that is far less space of restriction than it was when the AI was 171, 176 or 178. And FA packages across the league are pretty even now.

So, I guess your point is that Harvard, Yale and Princeton have better brands than the other five and thus get all the recruits. I don't think that sentiment is shared by others in the league.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.265 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:45 AM