Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy AI
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-11-17 01:54 PM - Post#233792    
    In response to SRP

Amen, SRP. I, for one, was influenced in my annual giving decision by the high loan component of an undergraduate's cost when our endowment reached such gigantic amounts. When Princeton led the Ivies, especially h and y, in loosening its pursestrings to make it more affordable to students from lower and middle income families, I applauded the decision and upped my modest giving. I believe that the decision was driven primarily by the conclusion that Princeton was losing increasing numbers of talented students as a result of its high net cost relative to good state institutions. So, although it was a self-serving decision, the effect, if one believe as I do, that an Ivy education is something special, was very positive. If it has also made a Princeton education available to some bright students who are also fine athletes, so much the better, But, unlike athletic scholarships, FA based on need has no strings -- like staying free of injury or continued athletic participation. The coaches are out of it once a student gains admission. Which, IMHO, is how it should be. P's large endowment does put a few smaller Ivies and/or those with less generous or affluent alumni/ae at a disadvantage in potential FA. But, I shed only crocodile tears for all but B and D. Life ain't fair.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.642 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:10 PM