Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Butler
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-13-17 06:09 AM - Post#236074    
    In response to Mike Porter

Pretty much what I expected and feared. No trouble finding good shots, especially the Big Three, even against a team that emphasizes defense. (Exceptional three-point shooting by the Tigers papered over excessive TOs and missed FTs.) But the defense just wasn't there inside, with Bell and Cannady getting driven past with regularity and not much help sliding over in time. Miller, Cook, and Weisz definitely missed on D. At least they cut off Butler's ORs and loose-ball dominance in the second half for the most part.

The defense took a while to gel last season, and they got a lot better at staying connected on drives as the year wore on, so I wouldn't write their defense off, but they need to have some rim protection in there more. I also agreed with commentator Gillen that more zone would have been advisable, but then I'm a bit more pro-zone than most.

Schweger was a pleasant surprise, and looked the most solid of the freshmen to me. Derosier was passive on offense but had some promising defensive possessions. Much looked a bit overwhelmed, but his angry reaction on getting back to the bench after his turnover and foul actually looked promising; I suspect he's going to develop nicely--don't know if I like him in the post, but they might not have a lot of options there.

And let me echo comments about the horrible refereeing bias in that game. Butler collected a lot of early fouls, but so did the Tigers, and Princeton was outright robbed of six points on the goaltending and two charging calls. But, hey, that's why you have to tape your ankles when you play in a venue like that.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.221 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:35 PM